Waiving credit card fees option

Daniel D. shared this question 23 days ago
Answered

So, it's illegal to charge people utilizing a debit card any type of fee, as it's the same as cash or check. Can we get an option that asks the customers if they are using this over a credit card so if we are charging a service/cc fee, and have it waive the fee in the case where they are using their debit card.

Comments (4)

photo

I have submitted a feature request to our developers to see if we can get this option added for you. We will let you know any updates.

photo

We don't have an easy way to do that or many people asking for that. I would advise you to not charge credit card fees and instead increase your prices to accommodate. We will not have anything like this any time soon due to our current full development schedule and the complexity of a change like that.

photo

Does that same thing apply if they run their debit card like a credit card? Not entering a pin #? If IO never asks if it's a debit card and always runs as a credit card I'd imagine it doesn't matter because there's no way to tell.

photo

Apparently due to the durbin amendment it is still not legal to charge a cc fee if a debit card is ran as a credit card.

But if it's a convenience fee, is fair play for any payment method.

photo

while the convenience fee is a technical loophole, it's technically the same thing and I'm sure as more time passes, somebody is going to love to present a new class action lawsuit. Most people aren't charging flat fees with the 'convenience' fee, but a percentage, and matching that percentage to what they are being charged to run the cc, which is giving away that it's not convenience. But, that's just my opinion.

photo
photo

There's no way for the software to know the difference if the customer is using a debit or a cc

photo

That's what I'm saying. So it will always be considered a credit card and fees will apply.

photo

Yes

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file