sales tax report not showing correct data

Steve S. shared this question 4 months ago
Answered

the total sales tax in the attached is calculating correctly, but the untaxable amount is showing as $0 when it should be $100. any idea why?

also is there a setting so that when refunds are given it results in the negative amount of sales tax owed?

Comments (24)

photo

$100 would be the non taxable subtotal in this case. I have added those columns for you. When you list the payment amount and it was actually a refund it will show the negative sign in front of it

Here's an example of me running the report for the Dwyer:

c0958752ff3ccd1fafca1ca5bf08d193

photo

If you want all payments on a lead to show on the same line...we will need to make some more adjustments? Let us know

photo

is there a way to make this report show total sales tax for lead not just for the payment they've made. for example in may i have lead # 22326613

when i pay my sales tax i pay it monthly on only completed jobs that occurred that month, so i sort by date range 5/1-5/31 and then status complete

he has not paid in full yet so i won't be paying the right sales tax, and then i won't see if again due to my filtering

photo

So do you not want it to show on report until complete AND paid in full?

photo

I'd like to pay the full sales tax on any completed lead that had an event date during the time span selected whether it is paid in full or not.... then it is on me to get the final payment and once i do i don't have to worry about if i paid sales tax on that payment or not yet.. if i don't pay it now then i will never see it in a report again since i filter this way

in MA sales tax is not due until the service has been rendered. ideally i wouldn't pay sales tax on his full amount until the final payment is made but i don't see an easy way to keep track of this.. it is easier to just pay the full sales tax amount on the lead in the month that the service is rendered and adjust at the end of the year for the one or two who i never got final payment from

photo

I created Sales Tax2 report...run this and put in your event dates you'd like to see. Let me know if this works better

photo

what is the reason for the "lead $ subtotal" column not matching the sales data on my dashboard?

photo

subtotal wouldn't be the total off of the lead...which is what the dashboard uses. You would use the total sum for this

photo

what is the difference between subtotal and the lead total? i have my settings set so the dashboard doesn't include sales tax

photo

Subtotal is just the rentals...no fees, anything else. the Lead total sum is everything. There also is an option for total less tax

photo

i believe it is our long term events making this method not work.... i think i will start paying sales tax monthly on payments received instead of leads completed. can you look at sales tax2 report now, if i use this report and sort my payment date 6/1-6/30 this should give me accurate data, correct?

what would happen with refunds, would it show a negative tax amount if applicable?

photo

Yes, if you are going to pay by month...and when the customer pays. You can use the payment date instead of the event date for the dates filter. This is how most do it. Yes, refunds would show negative

photo

thank you,

and how did this allocate sales tax, for example if someone made a deposit in March and final payment in June would all the sales tax go onto the last payment or would it be applied proportionally

photo

You should also be a "payment sales tax" option on the report. That way you can see what portion of the payment went towards taxes...and you pay that

photo

if you go to this report and filter for payment date 2/9-2/29..... it shows the following data...

Payment Amount Payment (Non-taxable Portion) Payment (Taxable Portion) Payment Less Tax Payment Sales Tax
$ 5,712.47 $ - $ 4,220.68 $ 5,448.66 $ 263.81

why is the non taxable portion $0

photo

The only time you will see something under non taxable is if you had rentals/services on the lead that weren't taxed

photo

That is every one of our leads. Shouldn’t the non-taxable portion and the taxable portion equal the total payment?

photo

The Payment Less Tax and the Payment Sales tax will equal the Payment Amount

photo

i do not get how this works, if there is taxable and nontaxable that is 2 options they must equal the total payments

that column should read $1,491.79

photo

No, that's not what this info is. It's the part of the payment that is or not taxed. It can honestly be removed from this report. If you do have items that you do not charge taxes on using the Lead $ Subotal (taxed and not taxed) columns instead. If you charge taxes on everything...you can list the two subtotals to show that you are charging taxes on everything.

photo

if you go into the report and hover over these two items it says the amount of the payment that is taxed and the amount of the payment that is not taxed. there is not other option, so these 2 must equal the total payments

photo

Here's an example on how these columns work. I set up two leads, both with a taxed and a untaxed item. Then I show a payment on each lead...and that payment is going towards the taxed and untaxed balances on the account. On the third example...the whole balance is taxable. So there's nothing in the Payment (non taxable) column:

0f90881aae6c8b824635d8b942e36db2

photo

right my leads aren't showing anything under non-taxable with any of their payments.... but the total taxes seem to be accurate so that is why i am confused.

if you pick a lead i have that made a payment in april and the final payment in june that has a nontaxable item on the lead, both payment lines on the report have $0 non-taxable amount

photo

Are any of the balances untaxable? Give me a lead as an example.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file