Sales tax location code

Casey Z. shared this question 12 months ago
Awaiting Reply

The state of Washington uses location codes for local sales taxes. Is there any way to get that code into a report? You can have different rates within a zip code or city, so this location code is needed for sales tax filings.

Comments (3)

photo

We can create the location codes in optional fields and also set up an automation to have a location code set based off of which county, city, or zip code. The optional field can then be added to the report that way.

To set this up, we would need to know which codes, counties, and rates to start.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you

photo

The location code is based off the street address. I don't know where IO gets the tax rate from, but that's probably where the location code needs to come from.

photo

Casey, I just added the tax codes for a WA client and they had me also add the County to the address section because we found that the county was determining what tax code and tax rate was applied? Do you have a list of what county/tax codes/tax rates you will be using often?

photo

It doesn't work like that. I do a lot of business in Vancouver, which is in Clark County. There are at least 8 different tax districts in Clark County, and at least 3 different tax districts with addresses within the city of Vancouver.

photo

What we did was set up automations...that went by county though. It said if was Clark County and tax rate =X and tax rate =X and then the tax code would automatically fill in. Because the users needed the tax code to do their taxes.

photo

So that's why I am asking for a list of Counties and the tax rates and the tax codes

photo

Okay, let's try it. These are all the Clark County districts I've been to.

Clark County code 600, rate 7.8

Battle Ground 601, rate 8.6

Camas 602, rate 8.5

La Center 603, rate 8.5

Ridgefield 604, rate 8.7

Vancouver 605, rate 8.7

Washougal 606, rate 8.5

Yacolt 607, rate 8.5

Clark-PTBA 666, rate 8.5

If this works, I should be able to see what you're doing, and I can continue this for the other counties.

photo

I built filters that if the county and rate matches those above then and automation will fill in the tax code for your reporting. I know you guys have counties with multiple rates...so if you take a look at how I set it up as you come across ones you need to add you can create a new filter and automation

photo

I think there is still a misunderstanding. Everything on that list is in Clark County. Let's bag it. This isn't going to work. Even if we added enough detail to make it work today, I'd have to adjust the automations every time a tax rate changes. Not worth it. The only way this really works is if the location code can be pulled from wherever IO is pulling the rate from.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file