postponed event

Tom S. shared this question 14 months ago
Answered

IN new IO what is the best way to update an event postponed last year to apply the credit to this year's event? Just change the date of the original event and let the price changes reflect the difference in price or as in the old system, create a new quote for the new date (and what is the easiest way for that option)

Comments (9)

photo

I would cancel the event and credit it back and create a new event.

photo

Thank you,

Old system allowed to make a copy and save to save the labor. Can that still be done? A copy?

photo

id just change the date .. we honor our price from the previous year...

it would be way harder to make a new lead and all that IMO then you have to transfer payments and track it all manually

photo

Yes, use the arrow beside the save option and it allows you to copy/save.

photo

I agree with Greg. My first option is always to change the date on the postponed lead, even if you are changing the prices. That avoids any extra work of applying credits.

photo

Thanks but I have a different opinion.

I copy the original, keeping the postponement.

In the new system the copy asks if you want to use the original quote or update to your new prices, which are inevitably higher.

I love this because I can credit the customer what they paid but don’t have to eat the new costs I incur for delivery, labor and change in rental price.

Now the customer  pays the difference.

I may make an allowance as a credit if the customer deserves it in my opinion and I can do that with a discount.

I won’t do it if the customer postponed for what I consider frivolous or unwarranted reasons or caused me excessive prep costs.

When the customer signs the new contract I can cancel the old postponed one.

I think this creates a complete record of what happened and why and I am glad the new IO provides this option.

Sent from my iPhone

photo

What do you do with the payments that they made on the old lead?

photo
photo

All payments previously made become the “discount” I enter in the new event. I label it accordingly.

Then the balance due represents the price change from the time of their previous event. Minus whatever additional discount I may wish to consider based on customer history.

Get Outlook for iOS

photo

If you cancel the old event with the payment on it, it will appear to IO that you never made that money. And if you don't transfer that payment to the new lead, your sales numbers for the year will be incorrect.

photo

Then that becimes a tax nightmare for an audit etc

If you just change the date the payment will still show as income on the date you posted it and most like you have already paid tax on it so that still is correct for those totals to.. Changing date is the smart way for so many reasons... Imo

photo
photo

I just don’t see any tax nightmare since tax was collected on the original and applied to any balance due. The nightmare is canceling “erasing” the previous collection of payments you have already made sales tax payments on.

Get Outlook for iOS

photo

I don't really see the tax problem either. Presumably, you've entered the income in your accounting software long before the lead is canceled. I could see a situation where an auditor thinks you're hiding income, and it could be messy trying to unravel what happened. But the way you're doing it, your accounting software will show more income than IO will show, which is probably better than the other way around.

I use my IO records for my annual insurance audit, and the sales stats (overall and individual items) are important to me, so I like to keep IO in order. That is why I change the date on the lead. I want IO giving me an accurate look at what happened. If you're only concerned about QB, or whatever accounting software you use, you're probably fine this way.

photo

My point was if you're moving 10 15 20 events a year that's been postponed delayed canceled rescheduled and you're not just changing the date on the order you've already paid sales tax on that money correct but if you've moved those orders or canceled those orders and created new orders and applied this discount to them when you cancel the order and you needed to run another tax report during an audit or whatever you're never going to be able to figure out why your tax numbers are not matching up in the audit which then the auditor will be all we need to dig a Little Deeper..

If you've never been through a sales tax audit basically they come in asking for the world then they narrow it down to a few years and if they don't find any problems then they're pretty much done but every time they find a problem they open up their scope of audit to larger and larger and the more you have to go back and recreate the harder and harder it gets that was my point on the tax issue

Now to Casey's point he's 100% correct if you don't keep things clean and straightened up in IO then you're not getting real numbers to know how your company's doing how specific product is doing things like that I'm 100% team Casey on this one cuz I do it exactly how he does it

photo
photo

Great points. 

Thank you for addressing them.

Sent from my iPhone

Leave a Comment

Attach a file
Access denied