What triggers a QBO sync?

John B. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

We intentionally add additional info to paid invoices in QBO, and I see that those changes are being overwritten from time to time by a fresh sync from IO. I'd like to know what's triggering that. Other than a payment being made in IO, what other actions cause IO to re-sync a lead to QBO? None of our statuses have "send to quickbooks" checked.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

photo

Either a payment or being in a status with that 'sync to qb' option set. What field is getting overwritten? maybe we can adjust it to append instead of overwriting.

photo

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the suggestion. Because we have to modify the QBO customer name (among other things), I'm worried that appending would have bad effects. If we edit the customer name in QBO to NEWCUSTOMER, but then the next IO sync appends the IO customer name of OLDCUSTOMER, it sounds like the QBO customer name would then be NEWCUSTOMEROLDCUSTOMER, and that won't work for us.

I'm definitely seeing re-syncs at times other than when a payment is made. I'm comparing the QBO change log and the IO change log, and it appears that (at the very least) changing the status of a lead triggers a re-sync, even though all of our statuses have the "sync to qb" box UNchecked. Is it that ANY changes (adding an item, changing a status, updating an optional field, etc.) to an IO lead that already has a payment on it will trigger a re-sync?

photo

it may be re-syncing every time an edit is made to a lead that has a payment on it. can you give me an example lead so I can look into it more?

photo

Check out lead 8478531. There's a single IO payment on 8/18, at which point the sync occurred and the QBO invoice and payment were created. We edited the QBO invoice on 8/19. Then I'm seeing additional syncs on 8/20 and 8/24, overwriting our redone QBO edits each time.

photo

I see it did sync on 8/20 and 8/22 after edits were made to the lead.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to prevent this as the intention is that we keep qbo updated based on IO. Once it has a payment it will continue to sync on changes

possible solutions:

- update the contacts in IO to be the way you want them in QB

- lock the invoice in QB so it can't be modified...but I think this only applies to closing the books after filing tax returns

- stop using our qb integration and just manually create the items in QB

photo

Thanks for clarifying, Joel.

One more idea: is it possible to tweak the QBO integration? Specifically:

-- can *salesrep* be written into the QBO transaction dimension of Territory?

-- can an optional IO field (to be created) be written into the QBO transaction dimension of Project?

-- can an optional IO field (to be created) be written into the QBO item dimension of Class?

photo

We don't currently have these options but I've added them as feature requests to our product development system.

photo

Understood. Thanks for letting me know.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file